More movie reviews

I have more reviews of the Oscar winners! Go here for 1981-present (although, we have yet to see this year's winner, The Hurt Locker). Of the 82 award-winning movies, we have seen and rated 57!!! More than halfway to our goal! We will probably be slowing down as summer comes, but I think we will finish at least by the beginning of 2011.

Lights, camera, action!

Kramer vs. Kramer (1980)
P=7, J=6
Really touching movie about divorce, from a man's perspective. Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep do really well in their roles, which helps.

The Deer Hunter (1979)
P=6, J=7
A disturbing look at the Vietnam War and the men who had to fight in it. Again, lots of GREAT actors/actresses (De Niro, Walken, Streep).

Annie Hall (1978)
P=3, J=1
Yikes, this struck out with us. Just goes to show that even though there are popular names in it (Woody Allen, Diane Keaton), it doesn't mean it will be any good. I found this move to be really annoying with no real plot. The kicker is that this movie beat Star Wars!?!?!

Rocky (1977)
P=7, J=7
I just really love this story, as much as I don't enjoy boxing. And I grew up watching this movie, probably saw it 342 times. Or 10.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1976)
P=5, J=5
I don't know, I just felt like this movie could have been done better.

The Godfather, Part II (1975)
P=6, J=5
J liked the first one better than the second, and I was opposite. I like how Part II really described Vito Corleone's roots.

The Sting (1974)
P=7, J=8
This movie about a con man surprised us. We were really on the edge of our seats and there's a surprise ending! And my lips are zipped.

The Godfather (1973)
P=5, J=6
Everyone just has to see this movie anyways, since it is always quoted and talked about. Plus, my brother-in-law had a part in it!! He was the little boy walking by in the department store, right before the scene with the horse head on the bed. Don't blink, or you'll miss him.

The French Connection (1972)
P=3, J=2
Just skip it. Unless you like dumb movies. And it beat Clockwork Orange??? What's up with that??

Patton (1971)
P=6, J=6
Another one of those educational movies, this time about WWII hero George Patton.

Midnight Cowboy (1970)
P=2, J=2
This is like Brokeback Mountain, only in the 70s. I actually like Brokeback Mountain, but neither of us liked this. The plot has a lot of holes in it and the acting was bad. The only good thing that came out of this movie was that famous line, "I'm walking here, I'm walking" (Dustin Hoffman's character said it).

Oliver (1969)
P=6, J=5
We both have seen this many times when we were younger, and in fact, J played Oliver in a school play in the 80s. Funny thing, when we went to watch it again, the DVD was mislabeled. So we put in Disc 2 first. We were both watching and confused by the sequence of the movie, then tried the other disc and got it right.

In the Heat of the Night (1968)
P=8, J=7
Another surprisingly good movie that we wouldn't have watched otherwise!

A Man for All Seasons (1967)
P=4, J=4
This movie takes you way back, all the way to 16th century England. I thought I would like it because it had to do with Catholicism. But it was just long and drawn out.

The Sound of Music (1966)
P=8, J=7
I've always loved this movie. And I took the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, Austria. Which made me love the movie even more. I'm surprised J liked it at all since it's a musical!

My Fair Lady (1965)
P=4, J=3
Our main problem with this movie was that it's LOOOOONG. The story wasn't bad, although I think J was annoyed by Eliza Doolittle. "The rain in Spain stays mostly on the plain."

Tom Jones (1964)
P=4, J=4
This movie was kind of comical with the main character and his ways with women. But, the plot moved slow.

Lawrence of Arabia (1963)
P=5, J=3
I really liked the first 2 hours of this movie, but the other 80 minutes could have been eliminated. The length is what brought the rating down. Otherwise, this movie was educational and the main character played quite a role. My suggestion, just watch the first 2 hours. You'll get the gist.

West Side Story (1962)
P=5, J=5
Another musical. I know it's a classic, so I guess everyone should see it.

The Apartment (1961)
P=7, J=6
What an interesting movie about a guy who "lends" out his apartment to his bosses and their mistresses in exchange for promotions.

Ben-Hur (1960)
P=7, J=7
Now we go way back to the 1st century. And this was an interesting movie that kind of kept you in suspense. The movie was about Judas Ben-Hur. For most of the movie, J & I both thought it was Judas, one of the 12 apostles, the one who betrayed Jesus. So we kept waiting for Jesus to make his appearance. But no, wrong Judas. That's Judas Iscariot. Who knew there were so many men with the name Judas?

Gigi (1959)
P=4, J=1
This was just a weird movie, with a weird plot. It tried to be a love story, but it fell short. And it was a musical, so painful for J.

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1958)
P=7, J=7
Again, a surprise for us. What a great movie with a surprise ending. And it's based loosely on the construction of the Burma Railway in 1942-43.

Once again, stay tuned for our last batch!

Labels: