We've been in Colorado for 10 days now. And in no particular order, here are 10 highlights of our time here so far.
1) J's Bday
We celebrated J's bday with football watching (that is a Sunday tradition regardless) and a home-cooked dinner and Rum Cake made by Rachel/DocDoc with some friends.
2) Speaking of home-cooked meals, I have been enjoying having an oven and full kitchen again! After spending months getting creative with our "home-cooked meals" in the van and eating out more times than we have in our life, we are happy to be back in a normal routine of eating at (our temporary) home.
3) Carbon Leaf Concert
We introduced Jamie/SIL Adventure and Rachel/DocDoc to our beloved band by taking them to a concert in Denver. Apparently, we are no long superfans because they have released 2 new albums in the last year and we own neither one. This concert actually starts what I would like to call "fall tour," as J has SEVERAL concerts lined up in the next 2 months. In fact, we are going to a Jimmy Buffet concert with Jamie & Rachel on Tuesday, so I would say there will be a concert at least once a week from here on out.
4) Officially Saying Goodbye to the "Bu"
J went to collect our personal belongings from the Bu before it and its rusty parts goes to car heaven.
5) Jamie/SILAdventure was short players for her kickball game last week and made us play in the rain and freezing temps. Kind of like being in 5th grade again, but with beer and more competition. And we won!!!
6) Jamie/SILAdventure's friends were also short on trivia players and invited us to join. Trivia is quite possibly my weakest area. Well, maybe behind math. But seriously, I had no business being on a bar trivia team (and we didn't win).
7) Jamie/SILAdventure also decided it would be a good idea to take advantage of J's "man"powers and hang some large pictures in some tricky places around their house. I am happy to report the pictures are still hung, but J is still nursing a deep gouge in his left thumb.
8) We did pop into the BP offices while we were up in Denver to finish up some meetings and drop some goods back to them. BP's holding group just bought Warren Miller Entertainment and moved into their offices. Very chic environment!
9) We took our second hut trip to one of the infamous 10th Mountain Division Huts in Colorado. Why yes that is snow you see in the mountains. It is, afterall, Colorado. I would call CO's fall confusing. It's not a fall like the colorful ones we experiences on the East coast (lots of yellow from the aspen trees changing - still pretty though!). The temps still range drastically and there definitely can be snow falling in the mountains (actually, it can snow any month of the year here). Anyway, back to the hut trip. It was a quick 3-mile trip up to the hut, which was one of the most fully equipped huts in the system (electricity, running water). We had 13 people on the trip! Fun times reading, relaxing, eating, playing games.
10) Last, but not least, no trip to Colorado is really complete without a stay at Rachel/DocDoc's cabin in the mountains. We've been here all week and are enjoying the quiet, the scenery and the snow (?!). Seriously, this is quite possibly my favorite place to be.
Labels: Backpacker, Colorado Cabin, Concerts, Family, Outdoor Recreation, Road Trips, Unemployment