Where we live

Well, so much for my "bonus post," as it's been almost 2 weeks! My "bonus post" was going to be pictures of where we live!!! It is so hard to explain in words and pictures don't even really do it justice, but they should give you a better idea.

You can enter the lodge through the front door, which brings you into a community living room, community dining room, community kitchen and 2 bunk rooms (8 beds and 12 beds). Sorry, no pictures of those rooms, but they are really open and beautiful. Back in the 1930s, this was someone's summer home. Many of the walls are stone ... so gorgeous.
When you go around the back of the building, you come to the hiker door and our private entrance. The hiker hostel is open by a code 24 hours/day and has 10 beds. There is also a private room with room for 6 people downstairs, which we will use for any guests (I'm directing that at YOU and YOU and YOU). We live in the turret section of the building!!!
 

And now, enter our chamber. It is quite possibly the smallest space we have lived in, but that is fine. In a way, I am happy to be forced to "downsize," as we just spent 9 months living out of our backpacks and then our vehicle, so we can live on next to nothing! Plus, the living arrangement is included in Deal's employment and you can't argue with that "deal!" Anyway, after painting, laying new floor and hanging pictures, we have made it our quaint getaway space and I do love it. We have a kitchen, living room, 1 bedroom and a bathroom. There is also a bonus small room for our spillover guests.
Outside our door is the office and store and then another locked door back to the community space. We sell hiker resupply as well as some gifts in the store. But people especially love that we sell frozen pizza and Ben & Jerry's ice cream!!! I have to admit, I also love that we sell Ben & Jerry's ice cream ... 

So there is your $2 tour. Don't forget the incredible view of the Shenandoah Valley just 200 yards from the lodge. You'll just have to come and visit the "castle in the woods" yourself!! I promise, you won't be disappointed!

I suppose I can also give you some quick updates while I have your attention ...

-We've had about 50 thru hikers come and stay at the hostel. This doesn't include section hikers, bikers (Deal has a funny story about one group), people driving around the country and whatever else comes through our front door. It is some kind of wonderful, I tell you!!! This place is hopping and all the visitors have been awesome!!! And Deal is in his element catering to them. With his beard and fact that he showers every 3 days, he still kind of fits in with the thru hikers...






-Our summer intern arrived this week. Perfect timing because with it getting busier and busier for Deal and it's so helpful to have someone to share the load with.

-We are heading out of town this weekend!!! Marie/Hopeful and Scott/Redwing, the former caretakers, are covering for us so we can attend Trail Days, the annual festival celebrating trail life!!! We will hand out Soyjoys, hand out business cards for the hostel, meet up with some old hiker friends and meet some new friends!! I can't wait!!!

-Jess, our foster cat, is doing great. She's so tiny, though, that sometimes we can't find her. She's looking for a home if there is anyone out there (Mama F) ...
-The stink bugs are still here, but the BugZooka is still our savior. I will spare you more pictures of them, unless there is a special request.

-If you've known me for a long time, you'll remember the company for which I worked 8 years for and where I was laid off in 2010. Well, they finally went out of business. I really feel bad for the 4 employees who were left on the editorial team, but we all saw the writing on the wall for many, many years. I salute that company and all the employees, as they went through a heck of a lot of changes and survived a tough economy! 

-I just found out my mom is going to live forever. Because a new study came out linking coffee drinking to a longer life. Who knew she had the secret to a long and healthy life all along? 

-Our friends lent us the first 5 seasons of The Office. How in the world did we miss this awesome ridiculousness all those years?

-And my current job, well, I'll just leave it at that. 

I do believe that's it for now! Until next time!

Labels: ,