Cheap, stingy, thrifty …

I am the first to admit I am all of those things. I’ve always been and always will be. I get a rise out of bargains and saving money. But when I met J, I met my match. If he participated in a contest to see who can apply the best cost-saving features to their lives, he would take the grand prize.

Case in point. Grocery shopping. Through the years, we’ve always enjoyed shopping together. At first, I was all, “How cute. He even wants to spend time with me for shopping trips and doesn’t want all the responsibility and burden to fall on me.” Now I’ve realized that his motive is to cut as many dollars as he can from our shopping bills. And as the economy has worsened, the gaps between trips have widened. I’m embarrassed to admit that our last full-on shopping trip was in March!

J prides himself on empty cabinets and a barren fridge, which he checks so often that I am thinking he has a little OCD. Meanwhile, I crave fresh fruit and veggies. Actually, it’s nice that most of the fruit and veggies we eat and love last such a long time. And soon enough, we will be able to ransack our landlord’s garden. But I like variety. Planning meals is so much more fun when you have options. J loves a creative and fulfilling meal as much as I do, but he just loves the savings more.

So while the rest of the world may be cutting back on “luxury” items like going to the movies and cable TV, our household is forsaking luxury items like Parmesan cheese and tomatoes.

Well J, this one’s for you. I got it from my friend Kellie, whose husband follows the same motto as J in life.
PS – We get to go grocery shopping this week!