Earth Hour 2009

This is not a shameless plea or effort to persuade, because that's just not me. Frankly, I'm more of a follower than a leader. But, I thought I'd tell you about Earth Hour. We did it last year. It's when you turn off all your electricity for an hour to recognize global warming. So here's your chance Saturday from 8:30-9:30 (according to your local time) to join the movement.

And here are some of my thoughts about this:
*I do believe global warming is happening. Will 1 hour of saved electricity around the world help? IDK. But, it's a start. If you tell me you've switched all your light bulbs to energy-saving ones or put solar panels on your roof, that's when I'd give you three whole stars!! Much more impressive.
**I don't think J and I will be able to participate this year, or at least not at the 8 o'clock hour on Saturday. We have that monthly dance at the local Concord studio this Saturday. The theme this time is slightly boring ... think spring. So we are spicing it up. But that's a whole other post. So unless we turn off the lights and music at the dance (which I really don't think would be appreciated), we'll be practicing our "save the planet" effort another time.
***When I was volunteering in Phoenix for that year, my housemates and I did a "no electricity" day once a month (or was it once a week? I can't remember). In any case, I think we did it more to recognize poverty and those who did not have, but either way, it's a powerful experience.

Go Earth!

On the topic of Earth, Bones (nephew) called J and I the other day to tell us he went on a walk with his father and picked up garbage on the road to fill a whole bag (that he claimed was overflowing). "Even a beer bottle!" he said. "I know you and Uncle love the Earth, so I wanted to tell you I was taking care of it." I was so proud, I almost shed a tear!